Merit-cum Means (MCM) Scholarships
The Institute gives Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarships to meritorious and needy students. The details of the MCM scholarships available and the criteria used for selection are provided below. These criteria were approved in the 487th (2015-16/8th) meeting of Academic Senate held on 23-24 May 2016 and earlier meetings.
An undergraduate (UG) student in the 4-year, 5-year, or 2-year M.Sc. program can receive the MCM scholarship subject to the following criteria/conditions:
- Up to 25% of the students in a batch may be awarded the MCM scholarship. From the total number of MCM Scholarships available in each batch, 20% shall be reserved for students belonging to the SC/ST category. The SC/ST students are not to be compared with the GN/OBC students.
- The MCM scholarships unutilized in a batch may be transferred to another batch. Similarly, the MCM scholarships unutilized in SC/ST category may be transferred to other category students.
- A student should have a CPI of 6.5 or above to be eligible to receive full MCM scholarship (freeship + pocket allowance). If the CPI of a student falls below 6.5 (but remains above 6.0), then the pocket allowance is withdrawn.
- For the first year UG students, common JEE-AIR or marks obtained will be used for awarding the MCM scholarship.
- A student must not have had F grade(s) in one or more courses in the last two regular semesters to receive the MCM scholarship.
- Total Family Annual Income (TFAI) of the student from all sources should be less than 6.0 lacs.
- The student must not be getting any other scholarship either from IIT Kanpur or from any other external sources.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India gives Scholarships for Higher Education (SHE), called INSPIRE-SHE Scholarships, to the students enrolled in undergraduate programs in natural and basic sciences all across the country in order to inspire them to become leading scientists. The details of the INSPIRE Scholarship are provided below.
- Students pursuing 4-Year BS and 5-Year BS-MS Dual Degree programs in natural and basic sciences AND have secured rank within top 10,000 in JEE-AIR are eligible to apply for INSPIRE Scholarship.
- You have secured marks within top 1% of your board
- You have secured rank within top 10,000 in JEE-AIR
- You are KVPY, NTSE, JBNSTS scholar, or International Olympiad medalist
- As per the DST guidelines, the students pursuing BS program in Economics and B. Tech./Dual-Degree programs in Engineering are NOT eligible to receive INSPIRE Scholarship.
- If you have failed in one or more courses or your CPI is below 6.0, then you are NOT eligible to receive INSPIRE scholarship.
- A student must apply for the Inspire Scholarship on the prescribed application form before the last date for submitting the application form.
Free-Basic-Mess (FBM) Scholarship
The Institute gives Free-Basic-Mess (FBM) Scholarships to needy students. The details of the FBM scholarships available at IIT Kanpur and the criteria used for selection are provided below.
- The students belonging to SC/ST categories only are eligible to receive the FBM scholarship.
- The undergraduate (UG) students in the 4-year, 5-year, or 2-year M.Sc. programs only are eligible to receive the FBM scholarship.
- The student must NOT be getting any other scholarship either from IIT Kanpur or from any other external source(s). A student can avail ONLY ONE scholarship at a time.
- A student must apply for the FBM scholarship on the prescribed application form before the last date for submitting the application form.